Come visit us on Facebook for daily updates, tips, funnies and insanity! facebook.com/OurAsylumCookbook

Monday, September 8, 2014

Spicy German Skillet!

Well I woke up with a worse cough than yesterday so I will get you a recipe (or three;) today. Then I will put my kids on a bus and head back to bed! I love how nighttime meds help you sleep, but you wake up feeling hung-over on top of being sick! Ok rant over!
Todays recipe came from Facebook land. One of my friends posted it. When I shared it there, another friend said she did something similar and gave me permission to share it with you!
Below is 2 recipes in one, theirs and the changes I made in parentheses.
German Skillet Dinner
AKA Spicy German Skillet Dinner ;)
3 TBSP butter
1/2 cabbage, chopped
1 medium onion chopped
2/3 cup minute rice. (1 cup)
2 lbs hamburger (1lb Italian sausage and 1 lb HOT Italian sausage)
1 can diced tomatoes (1-2 fresh tomatoes sliced, because I didn't have canned)
Salt and pepper to taste
In a large skillet melt the butter and layer ingredients in the order above. Put on the lid and simmer for 25 minutes or until burger is cooked and onions are transparent.
Here is my friend's version of the recipe.
She said she doesnt really have a detailed recipe, so I know she is awesome! Best recipes and things our kids will eat come from us creating in our kitchens!
About 2 lbs hamb. 
Bag of coleslaw mix,
1/2 c rice
can of tomato soup...
I add water if it looks dry. 
Browned meat separate.
The one thing I would do different in my recipe is weekday she did in hers. I would brown my meat separate. I stressed to much over it not being cooked properly!
Here is a picture of mine after everything was layered.

No comments:

Post a Comment