Come visit us on Facebook for daily updates, tips, funnies and insanity! facebook.com/OurAsylumCookbook

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Stolen recipe!

The Saucy Irish taught me this recipe when I got to spend two whole weeks with her in a very strangely warm place! I wasn't used to all that sunshine! She taught me this and the Piña Colada Cake she shared with you before.

I stole the recipe and made some changes to fit my family. I make this at least once a week as there are so many variations you can do to make it for your Asylum Residents or your Asylum cupboard!  So I will do this recipe a little different, I am going to break down the recipe by ingredient and you choose which one!

Meat choice-choose one:
*Hot Italian sausage, cooked (ground or brats).
*Italian Sausage, cooked (ground or brats).
*hamburger, cooked
*chicken, cooked and diced
*whatever you have thawed in the fridge ;)

Noodles or Rice
Whatever is in the cupboard! I have used bow tie, macaroni, spaghetti, or twists!

Sauce
Again what do you have in the cupboard? We like Ragu Parmesan Garlic white sauce or any Alfredo sauce. We have used spaghetti sauce as well.  When my hubs is gone I make it with a sauce that has mushrooms.

Veggies
I like to throw in sliced peppers, several different colors if I have them.  
Tomatoes-fresh,diced. If you dot have fresh canned works great! Don't drain though!
Mushrooms-if your Residents will eat them...

Seasoning
I usually don't have to add much as we use the Hot Italian Sausage and it is pretty spicy! If I'm not using it I will add crushed red pepper, salt, and garlic.

If I am using brats I slice them and brown them. Otherwise add your cooked meat to your cooked and drained noodles.  Add your veggies and sauce and let summer for 5 min. This gets the flavors blended! 

I hope that wasn't nearly as confusing as it felt to type! If it is let me know and I will try to clear it up for you!

Here is the exact recipe I am using today:
Sautée 2 small peppers ( I used green and yellow), 1 can diced tomatoes, 1/2 onion and 4 garlic cloves. 

Brown up 1 lb hot Italian sausage and 1 lb Italian sausage.

Cook noodles, drain. Combine everything. I don't have anything but spaghetti sauce so I am skipping the sauce tonight!

1 comment: