Come visit us on Facebook for daily updates, tips, funnies and insanity! facebook.com/OurAsylumCookbook

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The most amazing weather!

Man, fall has come in like a champ, hasn't it?  The temperatures aren't too low during the day and the combination of the sun beaming and the breeze blowing is amazing!  The colors are starting to show, it has begun to snow leaves lol.  Seems to be happening earlier than usual.  Maybe that's just because time seems to move so fast these days.  Uh, there I go again sorry.   Anyway, sunshine and rainbows, baby.  Sunshine and rainbows!  The recipe I have chosen for today has not been tested.  It is what we are having for dinner tonight!  Looking forward to it.  I will be sure to let you know how well it works out for us.

The recipe makes me feel like it is a summer/fall dish.  I know sounds crazy.  Well, duh.  LOL.  No, the fish reminds me of summer.  The beans conjure up warmth after a breezy day, fall.  So I find it perfect for the moment!  And the moment is where we should live!  With all our passion!  I'm going to have to give Spicy a call, I'm thinking the straps on my jacket must need tightening.

I found this gem in the September issue of Cooking Light.  I'm hoping it stands up to my expectations!  Enjoy, tomorrow is Friday! :D.  Don't forget I will post in the comments probably tomorrow how it went on my end.  Would love to hear how it worked out for you!  By the way I have two recipes here as they are presented as a meal, makes it even more worth while.

Smoky Tilapia Tacos

1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
2 pounds tilapia fillets (I'm using Mahi Mahi)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons canned chopped green chiles
1 diced peeled avocado
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
Cooking spray
6 lime wedges

1.  Preheat broiler to high.

2.  Combine first 4 ingredients and 1/4 teaspoon salt.  Brush fillets with oil and sprinkle with spice mixture.  Place fillets on a baking sheet.  Broil 6 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.

3.  Combine remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, cilantro, chiles and avocado in a bowl; lightly mash with a fork.

4.  Heat tortillas on a grill pan coated with cooking spray 20 seconds on each side or until lightly charred.  Divide avocado mixture and fish among tortillas.  Serve with lime wedges.

Simmered Pinto Beans with Chipotle Sour Cream

2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 Cup chopped onion
1/2 Cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 Cup unsalted chicken stock
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly grounds black pepper 
1 15 oz can unsalted pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
3/4 Cup reduced fat sour cream (I am probably going to use full fat greek yogurt)
3 Tablespoons low fat buttermilk
1.5 teaspoons minced chipotle chiles, canned in adobo sauce

1.  Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add oil; swirl to coat.  Add onion, bell pepper, cumin and garlic; saute 2 minutes.  
add stock, salt, black pepper and beans; simmer 7 minutes.  Stir in juice and parsley. 

2.  Combine remaining ingredients; serve with beans.


1 comment:

  1. Ok, the beans just like they are with the sour cream mixture (greek yogurt for me) were awesome! Absolutely delish! It doesn't make much, if I were using it as a side for another dish I would definitely double it. Now the tacos I really enjoyed but I would much prefer the flour tortillas. I know the corn ones are better for us but the texture and taste to me just totally takes away from the light delicious fish.! I guess no one tried it but me...............bunch of chickens! LOL

    ReplyDelete