Come visit us on Facebook for daily updates, tips, funnies and insanity! facebook.com/OurAsylumCookbook

Monday, September 22, 2014

Spaghetti Pot

Now take that as you want, but no I ain't smoking no spaghetti!  Although the Residents did "inhale" it! 


So I was in search of a way to make spaghetti so that I too could eat it with my family.  I HATE spaghetti!  Sorry, but it's true!  I think it "steams" from when we were first married and lived off it and mac n cheese!  While I was searching I found the recipe below and of course had to "tweak" it for my family. Okay enough with the puns...


Well this was a winner with the Residents and I actually enjoyed it as well!  Like I said, I did make changes, so they are in parenthesis.


This recipe comes from Budget Bytes so there is a break down of cost.  This would have fed 5 people easily!


Italian Wonderpot
Ingredients
  • 4 cups vegetable broth $0.52 (I used my chicken broth powder and made 4 cups)
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil $0.32
  • 12 oz. fettuccine $1.33 (I used a box of Angel Hair)
  • 8 oz. frozen chopped spinach $0.79 (left it out no one here would eat it)
  • 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes $1.73
  • 1 medium onion $0.43
  • 4 cloves garlic $0.32
  • ½ Tbsp dried basil $0.07 (put in a little Italian seasoning in it's place)
  • ½ Tbsp dried oregano $0.07
  • ¼ tsp red pepper flakes $0.02 (used cayenne pepper)
  • freshly cracked pepper to taste $0.05
  • 2 oz. feta cheese $0.87 (used Parmesan)
Instructions
  1. Add four cups of vegetable broth to a large pot. Break the fettuccine in half to make stirring easier later, and then add it to the pot. Also add the canned tomatoes (undrained), olive oil, frozen spinach, onion (thinly sliced), garlic (thinly sliced), basil, oregano, red pepper, and some freshly cracked black pepper.
  2. Make sure the ingredients are submerged under the liquid, place a lid on top of the pot, and then turn the heat on to high. Allow the pot to come up to a full, rolling boil over high heat then remove the lid and turn the heat down to medium.
  3. Allow the pot to continue to boil over medium heat, without a lid, for 10-15 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Stir the pot every few minutes as it cooks to prevent the pasta from sticking to the bottom, but avoid over stirring which can cause the pasta to become sticky and mushy. The pot must be boiling the entire time.
  4. After the pasta is cooked, crumble the feta cheese over top and serve.



I was told that I could make this again and that 2 out of 3 liked the spicyness of it.  I think I may have added more cayenne than was needed!  I mixed the parmesan in and they added a little more to it after it was dished up.  Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment