Come visit us on Facebook for daily updates, tips, funnies and insanity! facebook.com/OurAsylumCookbook

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

I know I'm crazy!

Hello beautiful people!  I'm feeling a little more crazy than usual so I'm going to talk about a vegetable many people aren't fond of.  Or as in my mother's case, can't chew.  I'm talking about Kale.  Beautiful, green, firm fresh kale!  This is the perfect time of the year for it.  And I can't even begin to tell you how weird my relationship is with this vegetable.  I eat it and I immediately feel it coursing through my veins, you know like Popeye and his spinach! :D  LOL.  Ok, I have officially lost it but don't stop reading because of it!

This beautiful kale I speak of packs 133% of your daily A and 134% of your C!  All this plus 329 milligrams of Potassium.  All packed into a one cup serving!  You can cook it down like collards boasting some vinegar, bacon, onions and crushed red pepper.  Or my favorite, as I proved once again tonight, baked kale chips!

I have to admit now, mom and dad were not crazy about them lol.  I thought they would be perfect for mom because of the problem with chewing.  There isn't much chewing needed when they have been baked!  Dad ate a good serving, I'll give him that but I can promise he won't be asking me to make them again any time soon!

I think the biggest thing to the chips is to season them well with whatever you choose trying very hard not to over do it.  They need a lot of seasoning for some people's tastes.  However, I have personally made them too salty and they were terrible hard to try to get down.

I'm hoping you guys can find a love for them too.  Even if they aren't your favorite, it's a good way to get some great nutrition into our busy days.  They also help curb that need for a chip!  And did I tell you they are cooked in 8-10 minutes?  LOL.  See, they are looking better all the time aren't they LOL.  I have no real recipe here.  They are all pretty much the same. Heat your oven to 350° with the rack placed in the middle of the oven.  I love to use my Silpat mat but parchment would work just as well.  I'm thinking you could probably even get away with foil :).  Your kale should be rinsed but it needs to be completely dry for the chips to crisp up correctly.  After rinsing tear the kale off it's stem and roughly tear into bite size pieces.  Using your go to oil (olive, coconut, vegetable) coat the torn pieces of kale.  Place on baking sheet in a spread out single layer (leaves should not be touching to crisp best) and season.   I used a tasty Paleo spice I like.  You can use straight salt and pepper!  Maybe some garlic powder.!  If you love montreal steak seasoning, put a little of that on there!

Oh yeah, one more thing.  They have to be eaten right out of the oven.  Sitting more than 30 minutes and they are not good!  LOL

If you serve them at the Asylum be prepared to be branded crazy but a few inmates might just follow your lead! :D  Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment