Come visit us on Facebook for daily updates, tips, funnies and insanity! facebook.com/OurAsylumCookbook

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Fried Green Tomatoes

My PaPa Ted used to make me fried green tomatoes and at the time I hated them, but it was time I got to spend with him.  So, I gobbled those tomatoes up like they chocolate chip cookies!


So today I am going to share two recipes with you.  The first is from the Mennonite cookbook, which I am sure is the recipe he used and another more "modern" version that had he used I would have loved eating them!  And now I am hungry for them...


Fried Tomatoes
Mennonite Community Cookbook


4 medium-sized tomatoes
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 TBSP fat (Crisco, real butter, oil)
1/8 tsp pepper
2 TBSP brown sugar
1 cup cream


Use green tomatoes or ripe but firm red tomatoes.  Do not remove skins.  Cut in slices 1/3 inch thick.  Roll in flour and fry in hot fat.  When browned on both sides, sprinkle with salt, pepper and brown sugar.  Place on platter and serve.


Fried Green Tomatoes
Black Inn Café


6 c canola oil, for frying
1 c all purpose flour
2 c milk
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
pinch paprika
pinch cayenne pepper
2 medium green tomatoes
2 c panko or bread crumbs


In a large, deep, heavy pan heat the oil to 350 degrees.  In a medium bowl whisk the flour and the milk together.  Mix in the salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne pepper.  Slice the tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices.  Dip the tomato slices into the batter making sure they are coated thoroughly.  Cover both sides with bread crumbs. Carefully add to the hot oil and fry in the oil until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes.  Serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment