Come visit us on Facebook for daily updates, tips, funnies and insanity! facebook.com/OurAsylumCookbook

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Porcupine Balls!

No, I am not using that as a cuss word, even though it would work perfectly as one!  Porcupine Balls if you have never had them are another version of meatballs with rice.  This was another one of those recipes my mom made when I was growing up.  It is also one of those recipes I triple so that I can freeze half of it for later.

Porcupine Balls

1 1/2 cups bread crumbs                      
1 lb  ground beef                        
2/3 cup uncooked rice (I use Minute rice)                        
1/2 cup milk                        
1 package (1 oz) onion soup mix                        
1 egg                        
1 cup water                        
2 cans (11 1/2 oz each) tomato juice (3 cups)                

 Heat oven to 425°F. In large bowl, mix bread crumbs, beef, rice, milk, dry soup mix and egg. Using wet hands, shape mixture into 30 meatballs. Place in ungreased 13x9-inch baking dish or 3-quart casserole.

Pour water and tomato juice over meatballs; stir gently

Cover and bake 50 to 55 minutes or until rice is tender and beef is no longer pink in center and juice is clear.   
I serve these over rice or egg noodles.



2 comments:

  1. so r u trying to confuse me or something the directions say cruch cereal but i dont see cereal in the receipe

    ReplyDelete