Come visit us on Facebook for daily updates, tips, funnies and insanity! facebook.com/OurAsylumCookbook

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Happy Tuesday to our favorite crazies!

Good morning all! I'm feeling extra Saucy today so I am sharing a recipe that combines Spicy and I!  LOL.  This recipe is just sooooooo good!  It can be messy too, which in my personal opinion makes food better! I could come up with a long list of adjectives but I will save that for another day!

I was so excited that Spring had finally sprung for all of you, then wake up this morning to find that The Spicy German had snow!  That ugly four letter word!  And of course then there are the storms.  My prayers go out to all of you impacted by these terrible storms!  Be safe!  But as always keep cooking!

We really appreciate all of you that come through to browse our craziness, so far this ride has been amazing!

Ok, I know, enough chit chat on to the good stuff!  Today's recipe comes courtesy of Rachael Ray.  I hope you enjoy as much as we did!  Everyone that I have made it for has requested it again! :D

Hot 'N Sweet Shrimp Lettuce Wraps

Prep time:  20 minutes
Cook time:  8 minutes
Makes:  4 servings

Ingredients:
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 1" piece of ginger root, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons vegetable or other light oil
1 red onion, chopped
2 small red chili peppers, very thinly sliced
1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, deveined, tails off
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 head iceberg lettuce, scored and quartered (I have also found that romaine works perfect for this)

Directions:
Combine sugar, vinegar and ginger in a small pot and bring to a boil, dissolve sugar and turn off heat, reserve.  

In a skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat.  Saute the onions, chili peppers, mushrooms and garlic 3-4 minutes then add shrimp and toss 3-4 minutes more until pink and firm.  Douse the pan with the sweet vinegar, season with salt and pepper to taste.  Serve the cold lettuce for wrapping the hot-sweet shrimp!

Oh just typing this makes me realize I need to make it again!  LOL!  Love this stuff.  I hope all you wonderful crazies enjoy and have an awesome Tuesday!  See you again on Thursday! :D


2 comments:

  1. Unrelated question plz: I was wondering how long a bottle of OPENED minced garlic is good for. I found one in back of fridge and only has a sell by date not an expiration date. Still smells like garlic. Was wondering if you'll had the answer. THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my own personal opinion on this but I am taking time now to really dig around and see what I can find for you. Will get back with you soon! Thanx for the great question! :D

    ReplyDelete