Come visit us on Facebook for daily updates, tips, funnies and insanity! facebook.com/OurAsylumCookbook

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Finally some sweetness!

Wow, the Asylum is creepishly quiet today.  With tomorrow being Friday, it's like the calm before the storm.  So I don't have a lot to say today, I'm sorry.  Life kind of gets in the way of things you enjoy sometimes and I'm just not feeling myself.  But you know what always makes a girl feel better? Cake!  Always!  Lots would say chocolate and I would totally agree with that also, but then comes the feeling of oh crap did I really eat all that?  LOL.  Well, that's my personal experience anyway lol.  So the recipe I have chosen for today doesn't leave me feeling that way.  I get the whole "cake" experience but not the guilt that normally follows.  And OMG Easy doesn't even describe this one!  I'm sure the Spicy German will be all over this recipe LOL.

I hope the week finishes off well for all of you.  Much love and happiness in you life, your family and let's not forget in your kitchen!  Enjoy and happy Thursday!

This recipe comes to us from a website I really enjoy, eatbetteramerica.com!  I have been with them for a few years now and they take recipes we all know and love and make small changes so that it is easier to "eat better america"! They, boosted the recipe from Prevention Healthy Cooking, don't let that fool you about the taste and yumminess of this cake!

Pina Colada Cake

Prep time:  10 minutes
Start to finish:  30 minutes
Makes:  16 servings

1 package (14.5 oz) Angel Food Cake Mix
1 can (8 oz) unsweetened crushed pineapple (I have been known to add more depending on my mood)
8 oz fat free frozen whipped topping, thawed
1/2 cup (2 oz) toasted coconut

1.  Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 13x9" baking dish with cooking spray.

2.  In large bowl, stir together cake mix and pineapple.  Pour into prepared baking dish.

3.  Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out almost clean.  Cool completely on a rack.

4.  Spread whipped topping over cake.  Sprinkle with coconut.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

(***Don't let the whole toasted coconut thing bother you.  When the cake comes out and is cooling spread coconut on a flat baking sheet.  Put it in the 350 oven to toast it.  Keep an eye on it, but normally when you can smell it, it's done.  Just stir it around and viola you have beautiful different stages of toasted coconut!  It's an important step, don't leave it out! :D)

P.S.  I have nutritional information if anyone needs it!






1 comment:

  1. Just printed it off, will give it a try today. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete